Christmas is looming as soccer administrators continue to consider what is ahead for second-tier soccer in America.
A U.S. Soccer Federation spokesman recently confirmed that any decision regarding the fate of the North American Soccer League is still weeks from being made.
“Discussions are still ongoing and will be through the end of the year,” said the spokesman in an interview with the IndyStar.
NASL’s fate as the sole second-tier soccer league in the U.S. has been hanging in the balance since earlier this month. Federation officials were slated to make a decision on NASL and USL’s sanctioning at their December 6 board meeting but postponed the decision for “7 to 10 days.”
As we approach Christmas, there has been no update from the federation and precious little information indicating a decision one way or the other.
The federation spokesman said “there is no specific reason” for the delay.
Keep an eye on E Pluribus Loonum for the latest news about the Loons’ former league as it happens.