clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Recap; Minnesota United scores first but drops their first match in two months to FC Dallas

All streaks must come to an end sometime, and tonight MNUFC’s 11 match unbeaten streak ended in Frisco.

MLS: Minnesota United FC at FC Dallas Kevin Jairaj-USA TODAY Sports

All streaks must end sometime and tonight the Loons’ unbeaten streak ended with a 5-3 defeat to FC Dallas in a match that was played in 100+ degree heat.

With their third game in a week manager Adrian Heath made a huge lineup shakeup with only Vito Mannone and Michael Boxall returning to the Starting XI from Wednesday’s US Open Cup clash against Portland. The Loons would line up in a 4-2-3-1- with Dotson, Boxall, Kallman, and Manley in the back. Martin, Olum, Ibarra, Schüller, and Finlay in the midfield along with Angelo Rodríguez up top as the only forward.

It took only 11’ before Minnesota United struck for the first goal of the night. With the ball bouncing around loose in the box Angelo Rodriguez took a shot that was blocked, but headed it straight to Ethan Finlay who finished off the odd play for the first goal of the night.

Just before the water break FC Dallas evened up the score with Michael Barrios and Ryan Hollingshead splitting Michael Boxall. Boxall comitted to Barrios for too long who hit a beautiful pass in the box to Hollingshead. Hollingshead then immediately fired a left footed shot hitting the underside of the crossbar for the home side’s first goal of the night.

After the water break it didn’t get much better as Santiago Mosquera lobbed a ball towards the MNUFC goal from outside the 18’ and hit the far post before the ball bounced in for Dallas’ second goal of the evening.

The 41st minute saw yet another weird but good goal by Ethan Finlay. With Jesse González up near the top of the 18’ Finlay received the ball and lobbed it over the head of the Dallas keeper into the center of the net for United’s second goal of the night.

The tied up scoreline would only last a few minutes yet again as Loons keeper allowed a goal under the legs on a shot from Reggie Cannon.

The second half slowed down considerably from the 5 goal insanity of the first half. Ibarra would be shown a Yellow Card in the 48th minute and Dotson 10 minutes later. The Loons used their first sub bringing Darwin Quintero on for Miguel Ibarra in the 57th minute and then their second in the 68th minute with Mason Toye coming in for Angelo Rodriguez. Michael Boxall would be shown a card just after the sub in the 69th minute.

Hassani Dotson would be the one to even the score for MNUFC in the 73rd minute. After dancing through two FCD defenders he blasted a shot into the right hand side of the net from just outside the semi circle.

Yet again the home side wouldn’t allow the lead to last. This time it was Brandon Servania with a sliding finish off a pass from the boot of Michael Barrios.

The Loons final sub came with less than 5 minutes to go as they sent Abu Danladi on for Rasmus Schüller to try and get a fourth goal of the night. FC Dallas didn’t want to stop at 4 goals but Brandon Servania got a brace for himself past the 90+3’. Shortly after the goal Mason Toye was sent off with a red card near the final whistle.