clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Recap: MNUFC and RSL draw 0-0 in the Second Game of the Tournament

In what was mostly a snoozer of a game, well nothing too much happened to be honest.

MLS: Minnesota United FC at Real Salt Lake Jasen Vinlove-USA TODAY Sports

Minnesota United came into the second tournament match with only two changes and no last minute surprise changes this time. Schoenfeld would start up top replacing Mason Toye who started against Sporting Kansas City. In the midfield Gregus would shift from the left to right side and Alonso would come in to replace Dotson in the 4-2-3-1.

Just like MNUFC’s previous outing, up until the hydration break a lot of the match was stuck in the midfield. It did not get better going forward though until near the end of the half. The full first half was very chippy with Real Salt Lake being carded twice and called for 7 fouls. Minnesota would not get any cards but would get called on four fouls.

RSL did have some back luck, losing Rusnák and having to sub him out.

Towards the end of the half Robin Lod would get a chance that would clank the post as the half ended leaving the score at a knotted up 0-0.

Heading into the second half Minnesota only made one change. Sending on Thomás Chacón for Kevin Molino. Chacón would end up getting booked in the 53rd minute.

Just a few minutes into the second half Tyler Miller would make a beautiful save to keep the match tied up at 0-0.

The next change would be made when the Loons sent in Luis Amarilla for Aaron Schoenfeld and Hassani Dotson for Ethan Finlay in the 65th minute. Minnesota would get another good chance after Chacón was fouled. Jan Gregus sent a gorgeous free kick into the box but MNUFC just couldn’t finish it with a header, sending the ball careening over the net. Raheem Edwards would come in for Robin Lod with just shy of 10 minutes left in the match.

Chacón would get a chance in the 86th minute but nothing would come of the opportunity.

Just three minutes of stoppage time were added but neither MNUFC nor RSL took advantage of it with the game ending in the tournaments only second scoreless draw.