clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Recap: Minnesota wins off Lod’s stoppage time goal

Robin Lod’s late winner is all that was needed

May 15, 2021 - Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States - Minnesota United defender Romain Métanire (19) blocks a cross by FC Dallas midfielder Ryan Hollingshead (12) during the match at Allianz Field. (Photo by Seth Steffenhagen/Steffenhagen Photography)

On Wednesday we saw a struggling Minnesota United FC side get a later winner off a goal from Ramón Ábila. Last night MNUFC came in off a short week against a much fresher team and proceeded to do the same once again. Robin Lod would score the matches only goal in the 90+4’ to give the Loons six points out of six on the week as they head into their first bye of the 2021 season.

Kicking off the match Heath would bring back his traditional and trusty 4-2-3-1 formation with Robin Lod starting up top. Dotson and Reynoso would be joined by a returning Ethan Finlay, who effectively displaced Ozzie Alonso factoring in the formation change. Trapp and Gregus would once again take up as defensive midfielders while Kallman for Raitala would be the only change on the back line.

The Loons would start the game by heavily dominating the possession intervals, something they would continue to do throughout the night, even though Dallas would end up taking the overall possession stat. Minnesota would get an opportunity to score fairly early when Reynoso missed a curving shot just wide of the goal.

That would be Minnesota's problem the entire night, the Loons would get into a great spot to score but then would, for the most part, sky the ball over the net.

FC Dallas on the other hand had their own issues as the Toros couldn’t seem to stay onside when the opportunity to score struck. Dallas would be called offsides an incredible 10 times over the course of the match.

And that seemed to be the matches curse, the Loons skying (almost) every one of their 27 shots over the goal while Dallas couldn’t stay onside resulting in them having just six shots. The two issues combined for MNUFC to have 7 shots on target while FCD had just one.

However it seemed the curse would be over with a Dallas handball inside the box. Wil Trapp would be attempting to send a pass into the box, however it would catch Matt Hedges arm on the way. The Loons were adament it was a handball in the box resulting in a penalty. However referee Ted Unkel would determine that it was not a handball and therefore no penalty.

After another excruciating 20 minutes of play it appeared the match would be going to a draw. But Emanuel Reynoso would take a corner and Brent Kallman would head it towards goal, where it was stopped by FC Dallas. However the loose ball bounced back to Robin Lod who proceeded to slot it into the corner for the only goal of the match.

Minnesota United will return to the pitch in two weeks against Real Salt Lake on Saturday May 29th at Rio Tinto Stadium in Sandy, UT. The match can be seen on Bally Sports North and The CW Twin Cities, it can also be heard on SKOR North.